These delicious pigs in a blanket are not just great as a snack but is also great platter food.
This is fantastic for kid’s parties they just absolutely love them and even better is that they are so easy to just throw together. It doesn’t stop there it is also absolutely fantastic for dinner parties, football events and any event where you need to cater for a crowd.
It’s so easy to add a whole new twist onto this recipe by simply adding a bit of cheese or mustard before you roll the hot dogs up.
These don’t reheat that great due to the puff pastry so it’s best to make sure they’re all eaten when they’re fresh unless you don’t mind the pasty being soggy or cold.
If you’re more of a visual person then check out my video on how to make pigs in a blanket! It’s a quick and easy way to learn how to throw this great puff pastry based recipe together.
The Pigs In A Blanket Recipe
- 1kg of mini hot dogs (Cocktail Frankfurts)
- 1-3 Sheets Frozen Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg
- Preheat an oven to 200 °C (420 °F).
- Light grease a baking tray (Multiple if you’re planning on a doing a large amount.
- Beat one egg in a bowl and place to the side
- Cut the puff pastry into strips (Use the hot dogs to measure, I roughly measure 1 by 3/4 hot dogs) you should get about 5-10 per sheet.
- Place a small amount of egg wash on each strip of puff pastry.
- Place a hot dog on one edge of a strip and start rolling from the hot dog end to the other end.
- Place onto the prepared baking tray.
- Repeat until the baking tray is full and also make sure you have allowed for room for the puff pastry to expand.
- Glaze each with some of the egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes until puffy and golden brown.
- Serve & Enjoy.
- Add a little bit of cheese in with the mini hot dog and you will get amazing cheesy pigs in a blanket.
- Puff pastry doesn’t really ever heat up very well if you do want to reheat these do in an oven and not a microwave. However reheating in the oven may cause them to dry out so it’s best to try not have have any leftovers.
- Experiment a little by adding condiments such as mustard, relish onto the puff pastry before wrapping them up. It will put a nice twist on this basic but easy pigs in a blanket recipe.
There are so many recipes that you can do with hot dogs. For example one of my favorite foods that I love to have if I am at a festival is a tasty corn dog.
If you want to leave any tips, variations, feedback or anything else regarding this pigs in a blanket recipe then please feel free to drop a comment below.