If you’re sick of regular plain ole rice, then you need to try out this easy coconut rice. It’s slightly creamy and goes perfectly with a good curry and some naan bread.
The instructions for this recipe are for doing it over the stove, but you can do the same recipe for in a rice cooker. This method is perfect for anyone who prefers the easier way of cooking rice.
It’s important to remember that different variations of rice usually need different amounts of liquids. Be sure to double check the rice you’re using to avoid crunchy undercooked rice.
Cooking regular rice over the stove is incredibly handy and can be quickly perfected using a few tips. It’s the perfect method for anyone who doesn’t own a rice cooker or has access to one.
Coconut rice isn’t the only flavored rice you’re able to do! If you’re looking for something else that’s a bit on the sweet side, then the creamy rice pudding is a recipe that you need to check out. It is excellent as a dessert and topped with a bit of ground cinnamon.
If you would like to see how to make this easy coconut rice, then be sure to check out the video I have prepared below. It’s short, snappy and will show you all the basics to making this rice.
Easy Coconut Rice Recipe
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 & 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Over the Stove
- Place the rice, water, coconut cream and salt into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once at the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Use a fork or spoon to fluff the rice up.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Place the rice, water, coconut cream and salt into a rice cooker and place the lid on.
- Switch to cook and wait until it switches to “keep warm” or off.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a spoon or fork to fluff the rice up.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Some varieties of rice may need more liquid for this to cook correctly. Be sure to check the packet for a ratio of how much liquid to rice there should be and adjust accordingly.
- If you don’t need the rice straight away, then leave the lid on as it will keep warm for up to about an hour.
- You can add extra flavorings such as grated ginger, nutmeg or even cinnamon for a slightly different tasting coconut rice.
- You’re able to use coconut milk instead of coconut cream, and it will give you less creamy rice.
- If you absolutely love the taste of coconut then be sure to add 2-3 Tbsp. of shredded coconut for the ultimate coconut flavor.
One downside of coconut rice is the nutritional information is not going to be as good as plain rice as we’re adding coconut cream. If you’re curious about what the nutritional information is then you can find all the information you need below. Please keep in mind this is just a rough estimate as it was calculated using an online tool.
This rice is best to enjoy with some curry or Asian styled dishes. Personally, I tend to swap between regular rice and coconut rice so I never really get bored of eating rice-based meals. The peanut chicken curry is certainly worth trying out if you want a curry that will match up with this creamy rice.
I hope that you enjoy this simple coconut rice and didn’t run into any issues while making it. If you have some feedback, variations or something else that you would like to say, then please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below.