Doing a “baked” oatmeal in a mug at first felt really strange but after giving it a go I was surprised on how easy it was to quickly whip up with little to no effort. On top of that it also tastes amazing however I am not sure if it is better than the real thing but it would come pretty damn close!
This is a perfect breakfast for anyone who doesn’t have a huge amount of time in the morning but would love a cooked breakfast to enjoy on the way to work or just at home.
You’re able to change this recipe to better suit your tastes. For example, if you can swap the fruit out for something that you prefer or add more sweetener if you prefer a sweeter easy breakfast. Don’t hesitate to tweak the recipe more to your liking! If you have a combination that you love then be sure to share it below in the comments section.
If you’re more of a visual person then check out my video on how to make baked oatmeal in a mug! It’s a quick and easy way to learn how to throw this great recipe together.
Baked Oatmeal in a Mug Recipe
- ½ cup quick oats
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ a banana
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. maple syrup or honey
Optional Ingredient: A fruit
To add more flavour to your baked oatmeal in a mug you should add some fruit into the mix. I have listed some suggestions below that will help bring your oatmeal from average to great!
- Berries (Raspberries, Blueberries etc.)
- Chopped Apple
- In a mug mash the banana.
- Add and combine milk, maple syrup and the egg.
- Add the quick oats, cinnamon and combine together.
- Gently mix in the berries or your chosen fruit.
- Cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve & Enjoy
- Remember microwaves are not all the same so keep this in mind when cooking. It may take longer or shorter to cook the baked oatmeal in a mug.
- Try different combinations of fruit and nuts then the ones mentioned in this recipe! You might stumble across something much more amazing.
- You can add flax or chia seeds to the recipe to change it up a little and also be a little healthier.
- Top with some yogurt, this really makes it even better than what it already is!
There are a quite a few other cooked breakfasts that you’re able to do in a mug. If you’re looking to keep on the healthier side of things then something like an easy omlette or even scrambled eggs might interest you. Otherwise french toast in a mug with some maple syrup is certainly a breakfast that you need to try out.
Have you tried a fantastic combination of fruits or other additions you would like to share, improvement to base recipe or would simply like to share your thoughts? Drop us a comment below we would love to hear your feedback.