This espresso mug cake is perfect for anyone looking for a cake that combines both coffee and chocolate.
This is perfect for those nights or mornings where you just want a quick and easy cake. This recipe can be put together in less than a few minutes making it perfect for anyone feeling a bit lazy.
A lot of microwaves vary in their cooking settings so you may find your espresso mug cake may need a little longer or a little less cooking. This was simply cooked in a 1000W microwave set on the highest setting.
If you need to make double of this recipe I personally recommended weighing out the ingredients separately. For example if you weigh them together and then divide them into mugs you may end up with consistency problems.
This recipe should come out to be a nice chocolate espresso moist cake. I personally love enjoying a nice warm cup of coffee with this nice and early in the morning.
If you want to see how this recipe is done visually be sure to check out our video on the espresso mug cake recipe above. It will take you through all the necessary steps to making this amazing cake in a mug.
Espresso Mug Cake Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. Plain flour
- 1 Tbsp. Caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Instant coffee powder
- 3 Tbsp. Milk
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- Add the dry ingredients to a clean microwavable mug and mix well.
- Add the oil & milk to the mug.
- Mix together and try to ensure there is little to no lumps.
- Place into the microwave and cook it for about a minute and a half on a high.
- Enjoy with cream, ice cream or even just by itself.
- This is very much like the mug brownie so if you’re feeling like something more chocolatey be sure to check it out.
- You can replace the cocoa powder with drinking chocolate mix. Keep in mind this will make it sweeter so you may need to reduce the sugar a little bit.
- I personally wouldn’t stress too much about the quantities in this recipe. Mug recipes are usually pretty forgiving for slightly wrong measurements.
- If you love the taste of coffee and 1 tsp of instant coffee powder just isn’t doing it for you then feel free to add a bit more. I haven’t experimented over 1 tsp. but I am sure anything up to about 1 Tbsp. would taste just fine.
- As I mentioned in the recipe both cream and ice-cream goes really well with this recipe. If you feel like spoiling yourself a little more then be sure to try fresh or frozen raspberries.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and have been able to make a delicious snack in no time at all.
If you have any feedback, variations on this espresso mug cake recipe that you would like to share then be sure to drop us a comment below.