Making your own easy homemade taco seasoning is incredibly easy to do and is perfect for when you don’t have any premade packets in the house.
One of the best things with making taco seasoning at home is that you know exactly what has gone into. You can also tinker with the ingredient amounts to help produce a better flavour that suites your taste buds.
Depending on the prices of ingredients in your area you might find that making the seasoning at home will save you money. Packet mixes are usually quite pricey and don’t contain a huge amount of spice in them. Buying all your spices separately and in bulk will usually save you money in the long run.
You’re able to make this in bulk if you find yourself using taco seasoning quite a bit. Simply store in an airtight container in the cupboard until needed. There are instructions on how to make this in bulk right underneath the recipe.
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients and mix together.
- Use straight away or store in an airtight container.
- If you’re not a fan of heat, then you can reduce the chili powder to half a tablespoon. Keep in mind this might change the overall taste of the seasoning.
- Adding about 1 tsp. of cornstarch will help the seasoning stick to meat and will thicken up sauces as well.
- There are many different types of chili powders that you’re able to use in this taco seasoning. Feel free to experiment for a slightly different flavoured taco spice mix. If you come up with an amazing combination then be sure to share it in the comments below.
This recipe is also super easy to make in bulk so you’re able to keep it in the cupboard and just grab what you need when you need it. It’s a super easy way to make sure you always have some good homemade taco seasoning on hand.
Below are the measurements for when you want to keep some seasoning stored in bulk. An old clean jar is perfect for doing this.
- 1 Cup chili powder
- 1/3 Cup ground cumin
- 1/3 Cup sea salt
- 1/3 Cup black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. onion powder
- 3 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 ½ Tbsp. dried oregano
There are so many different types of meals that you’re able to use taco seasoning in. For example, it’s great if you’re cooking some meat for some delicious easy nachos. Just season the meat before frying it off for the best results.
I hope this super easy homemade taco seasoning was perfect for your next dish. If you have any problems, feedback or an adjustment that works better then feel free to let us know by leaving a comment below.