This easy chicken ala king is the perfect way to use up some leftover chicken whilst at the same time making an incredibly good tasting dinner.
This dish is best served on top of some pasta, rice, bread or even some egg noodles. It basically just comes down to your own personal preference. The easiest is to just toast up some bread but my favourite is some freshly cooked pasta.
If you don’t have any leftover chicken, then you can simply cook up some up from scratch. I recommend dicing the chicken and adding it at the same time as the onion if you’re cooking it from raw.
Using a gluten free cornstarch will make this dish suitable for anyone who is following a diet that prohibits gluten. Obviously, if you’re having extras you will need to look at some gluten free pasta, bread or even just plain rice would work.
The leftovers should keep for a few days in the fridge just fine. Since this dish contains cream it may not reheat the best, personally, I find the sauce tends to split, especially when cooking in the microwave.
If you want to see how this recipe is done, then be sure to check out the video above. Alternatively, you can find the full recipe that takes you through all the steps right below.
Easy Chicken Ala King Recipe
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. cornflour
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 Cup frozen peas
- 2 Cups of leftover chicken (Shredded or cut into chunks)
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cream
- First either shred or cut the cooked chicken into chunks, place to the side.
- In a fry pan, over medium heat, add the butter.
- Once melted, add the onions, bell pepper, mushrooms and cook until onion is translucent.
- Now add the cornstarch and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and stir until combined.
- Finally add the peas, leftover chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finish by mixing in the cream and seasoning with salt & pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy
- You can use either fresh or canned mushrooms depending on what you prefer and how much prep time you have. Personally, I prefer fresh since the texture and flavor tends be a lot better. Adding fresh mushrooms usually doesn’t add any more time on for preparing this delicious chicken ala king.
- You can use plain flour in place of the cornflour, however, you may notice the sauce is a little less thick so it might be worth adding 1 Tbsp. more if you’re using plain flour.
- If the end result is looking a bit too thick then simply add some more cream until you get the consistency you want. Try not to add too much too fast otherwise it might go too runny.
If you’re not really feeling like some chicken ala king, then there are plenty of alternative dishes that you should try out. For example, the deliciously creamy easy carbonara is certainly worth checking out and is easy like this dish.
I always like cooking up something like a roast chicken in a slow cooker then using the leftover chicken in this dish or something else where leftover chicken works great with.
I hope that you enjoy this deliciously easy chicken ala king. If you have any feedback, tips, variations or anything else that you would like to say.